How Should Christians Set Goals?

What is being a Christian like in actual experience? Just great? Harder than you thought? Confusing?

How Should Christians Set Goals?

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 pm

How should we go about setting goals in life? Is it all right to set targets for specific accomplishments?
For example --
1. I will lose ten pounds in three months.
2. I will be promoted to supervisor in 18 months.
3. I will be married with two children by age 30.
4. I will increase sales by 20% next year.
5. I will give three compliments to people around me every day.

Does such an approach to goal setting enhance our success in life? But how do we know that such goals actually reflect God's plan for us? And if we do not reach a goal, how do we deal with the disappointment and sense of failure that results?

Should we really want to set goals? Many practical goals are impossible to avoid.
For example --
1. I will earn enough to cover my basic living expenses.
2. I will meet the overhead and payroll of my business.
3. I will overcome an injury, disease, or personal attack.
4. I will get along with my supervisor and co-workers.
5. I will help my parents deal with old age by visiting them twice a week and giving them money.

Scripture sets out our overall life goal -- to be like Jesus.
Romans 8:28,29 --
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn of many brethern.

Scripture notes that we should strive to be holy, and it sets out many other personal goals for us, such as being constant in prayer, loving, forgiving, humble, compassionate, etc.

Moses set a goal to free the Hebrews from Egyptian subjection. It did not work out at first. 40 years later, he found out such liberation actually was a divine goal, but it could only be accomplished through Moses by his following the Lord's precise directives.

Nehemiah set a goal to rebuild the walls and gates of Jerusalem, but only after days of fasting, mourning, and prayer.

What is the overall Scriptural view of setting goals in our personal life?
Paul
Site Admin

Return to Living the Christian Life